Let’s talk a bit more about education. In my opinion (and I am getting this from smarter people) the purpose of education is to gain wisdom, and according to the Bible wisdom begins with fearing the Lord. Do you realize even education is truly all about God and is meant to be worshipful. I am becoming convinced of that.
But that doesn’t mean that only Biblical education is important and worshipful but ALL of education.
– Do you realize that you can worship when you learn math? Math has rules that do not change. 2+2=4 no matter what people try to tell you. Math can lead you to the realization that there are absolutes and you can rest knowing that if there are absolutes in math there must be an absolute God who created them. Math can reveal that God is incredibly detailed and organized and doesn’t work through confusion or on a whim.
– Science is the same. Learning about this amazing created world in which we live can lead to awe that God can be that creative and imaginative. Did you know there’s an ant that can blow itself up to kill an enemy to its colony? Or a fish that can spit out of water to bring down an insect to eat? If you’ve ever wondered if God has a sense of humor, have you seen a hippo or a duck-billed platypus?
– What about grammar… I had a tougher time with this one, not going to lie 🙂 But then I remembered the power that language has to convey thoughts, feelings, truths, and beauty. An incredibly well-crafted story can move me to tears as I meditate on the glory, majesty, grace, and mercy of God.
– Art, how many times has it been said a picture is worth a thousand words, especially when it’s pointing to God.
– Music, my dad has said many times that music can bring him in to the presence of God faster than anything else.
– History can give you great wisdom and faith. Learning about the faithfulness of God in times past can encourage your own faith. Wisdom can come as you realize there is truly nothing new under the sun so don’t fall for old tricks wrapped up in new clothes.
True education will lead one to a greater appreciation of God not less bc the ultimate purpose of education is to gain wisdom and wisdom is only found in God. So seek God while you learn and you will never be disappointed!
The Bible declares whatever you do in word or deed do it all for the glory of God. Whatever you do! Even studying any subject. Seek God about it, and He will point it towards Himself. He’s good like that.
Believer, may you never stop learning but as you learn may you always be pointed to God. May your education bring you wisdom not folly.